Tuesday, May 27, 2008

FO: Swallowtail Shawl

I managed to tear myself away from the wii long enough to finish up my Swallowtail Shawl.


Pattern: Swallowtail Shawl by Evelyn A. Clark
Yarn: Knitpicks Gloss Lace, less than one skein
Needles: Plymouth Bamboo US4
Silver foil lined seed beads, I think 8/10?






You can kind of see the tiny foil lined beads I added to the shawl in the detail picture, my camera really sucks at close up shots. I placed a bead in every other bud on every other row and I swapped out every other lilly of the valley nupp section with beads. I really like the look but dang those beads pissed me off. I used knitpicks gloss lace which I am not too fond of and the beads were just too small to move easily along the yarn. I pre-strung a bunch because the crochet hook I bought was too large to fit through the opening. For the lilly of the valley section I made my own threader with some very fine beading wire left over from my childhood beading days. This took about 2 weeks to knit but I bet without the beads it would have been one. The yarn while nice desperately wanted to felt upon itself and just doesn't have as nice a sheen and feel as other lace weight yarn I have seen. Overall I am pleased with the finished project and it makes a good entry for the earth theme of project spectrum, I snuk it in just in time! Now I just need a dress to go with this so I can wear it to my friends wedding next month.

No comments: