Sunday, May 11, 2008

FO: Lilly of the Valley Shawl

Happy Mother's day to all of the Mother's out there. This was my Mom's gift:



Pattern: Lilly of the Valley Shawl by Nancy Bush Lace Style
Needles: Denise US6
Yarn: Alpaca with a Twist Fino





Please excuse the sweats :) I forgot to measure it so I don't have the dimensions but it is smaller than the version in the book. I made some modifications so the shawl would only take 1 skein of the Fino. I omitted one pattern repeat by casting on 74 stitches. I did 9.5 pattern repeats, increased to I think 82 stitches on each edge, and picked up 210 along each side. In total I used about 70g of yarn, about 613 yards. I could have made it a little bigger but I was afraid of running out of yarn. I screwed up the edging and bound off without making the points. Very annoying but I think my Mom liked it the way it was. I love this pattern and I love the Fino, really really nice stuff. The nupps really weren't that bad at all. As long as the YOs and Knits are done very very loosely on the previous round purling 5 together isn't too bad. I'm glad I left them in. I think eventually I will make another shawl, I want one for myself and it was an enjoyable knit. I felt bad thinking for a moment (OK, longer than a moment) that maybe my Mom wouldn't want this and I should just keep it. I did give it away and I'm glad, I think it will be loved and that makes me happy. Now that the clean up from my family's visit is over I'm going to tackle the Swalowtail shawl and relax. I've strung a bunch of beads and I'm anxious to get to it.

No comments: