Thursday, January 22, 2009

Admitting Defeat


I had planned to make sure at least everyone on my side of the family got something hand knit for Christmas this year and I very nearly made it. My aunt has been out of the country until recently so I only cast on for her gift this week. Unfortunately i am not in love with the cowl. In fact I've pretty much decided to give up on it. The yarn, Elen Cashmere, I liked much more in the skein. The color is just a bit too blah for this cowl and my knitting is rowing out terribly. Maybe this will tech me to not put things off to the last minute so I have the option of making something different. Ah well, having that off my plate is a bit liberating. I plan to mess around with a sweater design that has been on my mind since my trip to WEBS before Thanksgiving.

I finished my husband's vest this weekend and photos will come once it has dried. I can't wait to see it on him. Let's end my long absence with something positive, some toast mitts I made with leftover Malabrigo.



Against my purply green tiles you can sort of make out the purple hues to the yarn. I did not make thumbs but cast off 4 stitches and then cast them back on in the next row to make a slit for my thumb. This way I can pull them up if my fingers get cold. Really I like them better as armwarmers but it is nice to have that option. They are so soft and warm but are already showing signs of wear. Who cares though, they still function :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great mitts. I thought the cowl looked elegant, but it's hard to tell from a picture. I'm sure you'll find the right pattern... How about Thermis?

Anonymous said...

Oh, what a lovely cowl. It's too bad that you will only knit gifts every other year. I'm sure all the recipients really appreciated the hard work you put into their gifts.